Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Simplicity

Simplicity...a good word to ponder. So many things can be complicated or they can be simple. I can't decide what I thrive on better. Some things I do if they are complicated, but others I won't. I like simple, but then wonder if I'm not doing it right or it doesn't look good. I've been making pages lately that have been simple. Not too elaborate, just simple pages that share memories. Our memories. I put those pages into the album I bought and so very much love it. I have memories, I didn't work for hours on 1 page, I have several that I did in a hour. I'm loving it, I really am. As I look back through my pages, I see stages that I went through, fades even. I started off really basic, not really knowing what I was doing, but wanting to scrapbook. Then, I learned and improved. My pages became elaborate and time-consuming. I didn't finish as many, they took me longer and so I was only finishing one here and there. I organized my pictures and that sure made a difference. Anytime I feel like scrapbooking, I can grab a box and go at it. Now, I feel like I've resorted back to my earlier days of scrapbooking. I'm not trying to impress anybody, I'm doing this for my family. My kids aren't going to hate the album because I didn't use 3 different techniques and have 4 different embellishments on a page. They are going to love that they can look through the album and have their memories there for them. They will see the pictures, read the words and love it. I have a bad habit of comparing my work to others, why? So other people have different pages, does that make theirs any better? No, our pages, in essence, are accomplishing the same thing, the getting there is just a little different. I've been thinking about this a lot lately because I haven't felt too inspired to just whip out pages. But, I decided that having pages was better then sitting there trying to feel creative. Where is the fun in that? I'm loving my time scrapbooking, and I'm loving the refound simplicity of it!

2 comments:

April said...

You just described how I have been feeling too. My lo's have taken a big turn toward simple lately but I am loving them. Then I sit back and wonder if I should add something else to them. I too am realizing that I am capturing the memories AND I am making my supplies last longer.:)

Heather said...

Oh don't you know your the scrap book Queen in my eyes! And in the eyes of your family too! That's all that matters! You do an amazing job and you do make it look so easy. I have even been reconsidering the idea of it. Once I get this momma thing down I am sure we will be over lots to scrap.